The Latin name of this legume is Vigna angularis, and it is most commonly grown in East Asia, and in the Himalayan region, and is often a part of the diet of the Japanese, the Chineseand the Koreans. Today, because of the easy transportation of food, adzuki beans are available everywhere in the world.
This bean is commonly used to prepare the Japanese specialty called natto, but it is also used in a variety of salty recipes or desserts. The characteristic of this bean is that it is primarily intended to be used for desserts due to its specific taste. If you want to find out what are the health benefits of using adzuki beans in the diet, read the text below.
Health benefits of adzuki beans
1. Digestive problems. Adzuki beans are quiterich in fiber, and as we know fibers are essential for the good health of the digestive system. Fibers stimulate peristaltic (food movement through the digestive system), and allow absorption of nutrients from the food. Fibers prevent the appearance of constipation, diarrhea, and flatulence, and even help in the prevention of colon cancer.
2. Prevention of diabetes and the management of diabetes. Adzuki beans have another function, which is to regulate the activity of insulin receptors in the body, which maintains a normal blood sugar level. This can help prevent diabetes or regulate the symptoms of diabetes that arealready present.
3. Hearth health. Folic acid, potassium, magnesium, and fiber are a great combination for improving and maintaining a healthy heart. Fibers help in balancing cholesterol levels in the blood, potassium relaxes blood vessels, and increases bloodflow through blood vessels, thus reducingblood pressure. This can reduce your chances of having atherosclerosis, a heart attack or stroke.
4. Growth and recovery of tissues. Adzuki beans contain a large amount of proteins that are digested inthe digestive system into amino acids and as such are used to create new cells, tissues, and organs, or to regenerate them.
5. Helps in weight loss. For many Asians with excess body mass, adzuki beans are the first choice when it is necessary to reduce the body mass because it contains only 150kcal in115gr of cooked beans, which will reduce your hungerand will give you enough protein and other nutrients.
6. Congenital defects. A large amount of B vitamins, in particular, folic acid, can prevent congenital defects in unborn babies. Neural tube defects are directly related to folic acid deficiency, so by consuming adzuki beans,you will get great amounts of folic acid that will providea proper development of the fetus.
7. Bone health. If you want to prevent osteoporosis, then minerals such as zinc, copper, and magnesium are necessary to strengthen the bones and prevent demineralization.