Except that it’s high in fats what else do you know about avocado? The avocado, a tree with probable origin in South Central Mexico, is classified as a member of the flowering plant family Lauraceae. And you’ll be surprised that the fruit of the plant, also called an avocado, is botanically a large berry containing a single large seed.
Read about ten health benefits of avocado
- The avocado contains a lot of useful nutrients. It is a good source of vitamin K, folic acid, fibers I healthy fats.
- The avocado contains an even higher amount of potassium than bananas. Potassium is a mineral that is often taken in insufficient amounts, but we should know that it is important for many functions in our bodies and it is very important for the electrolyte balance of the human body.
- There are good amounts of monounsaturated fatty acids in avocados. The omega 9 oleic fatty acid is also found in great amounts in this plant. Omega 9 oleic fatty acid is linked to reducing the inflammatory processes in our bodies, and with reducing the expression of cancer-related genes.
- The avocado is high in fibers, and we know that fibers are very important for control of the body weight and for control of our blood sugar level.
- If you choose to consume avocado, it can help you in lowering the bad cholesterol and the triglycerides in your blood. And even better, it can help you in raising the level of the good cholesterol in your body.
- Fats found in avocado can help you in absorbing other nutrients coming from the other foods that you combine with the avocado. Fats increase the absorption of vitamins A, K, E, and D.
- Avocado is a great source of two powerful antioxidants called zeaxanthin and lutein. These antioxidants can protect your eyes from oxidative damage and can protect your sight.
- Avocado might help in preventing some types of cancer, and it can also reduce the side effect of chemotherapy in patients going under this kind of treatment.
- An avocado extract can help in reducing the symptoms of arthritis.
- Consuming avocado might help you in weight loss. A study has shown that the avocado gives you a feeling of being full, and it reduces your hunger. This helps you to consume smaller amounts of food which leads to losing some weight.